Sunday, December 21, 2008

Farewell to Alleppey

It's Monday morning here in India and we are preparing for another journey to the town of Kottayam. I am sad to leave this town (Alleppey) because I have had the MOST wonderful time with my host family. I have been staying with Chandran and Subha, plus their three children Vishnu (23), Sandra (18) and Sagar (15) and servant Chinama.

My host family helped me experience the thrills of Alleppey (the major temple festival is here right now, complete with elephants and carnival rides). We enjoyed the most marvelous houseboat ride nearby, exploring the backwaters and tropical environment. I did some shopping and even have beautiful artwork on my hands (it's vegetable dye, lasting for 3 days).

Now that I've been in India for 22 days, I've grown accustomed to a couple Indian ways:
1) Bathing with cold water: good thing it's hot here.
2) Bathing with a BUCKET of cold water: this is the common way to bathe, as I've seen in Ecuador and Peru as well.
3) Eating with your right hand: I'm nervous that when I return, forks will be so bothersome!
4) Eating VERY spicy food (by American standards): The meal isn't good unless your lips are tingling at the end!
5) Being so friendly...Indians are extremely welcoming. This is pleasant for me and finally, I've found a place where people greet me as I run in the morning (Ms. Luxmoore, you would love it here:)
6) Mosquitos...It's a tropical wet and dry climate here in Kerala, so mosquitos are everywhere! Current bite count: 30. (That's while using repellent!)
7) And finally...here are some Indian English words and their translations:
"take classes" means to "teach classes"
"toilet" = "restroom"
"take exercise" = "go for a run"
"take tea" = midafternoon snack
"maths" = mathematics class
"lift" = elevator

You may notice that some of these phrases sound very British! Remember, India was a colony of Great Britain until 1947. Now it is the largest democracy in the world!

I will hopefully get an opportunity to post some pictures AND talk with my classes on Skype early this week! I am doing my best to organize internet access. I miss all of you!
Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment