I am sitting in a plastic yard chair in the 100 degree cyber cafe here in Trivandrum, working on a 100 year old computer (slight exaggeration)! The server is down, so until it is repaired, no internet at home for me!
I enjoyed all the comments and want to respond to some questions today, as I sweat away in the cyber cafe:
1) Sleep: I am finally adjusted to sleep here in India. It took me a couple days. Like a good Indian visitor, I am observing their ritual of taking a long nap in the afternoon (1 - 2 hours). It is too hot outside for work, and with a hot lunch, the stomach needs a rest!
2) Food: I am a picky eater (Joel, you are right!) but I enjoy Indian food quite a bit because they use a great deal of vegetables, fruits, and curries. I am not a huge rice eater, so I prefer to have avial (vegetable and coconut curry) and fish curry, as well as the curd (yogurt) and masala (chai) tea. I won't starve here, that's for sure!
(NOTE to my students: There is no STARBUCKS here!)
3) Religion: Hindu temples are all over the city, and play their chanting music very loud. It is beautiful to hear the music and smell the incense pouring out of the temples early in the morning when I go running. With over 33,000 gods, the temples are all dedicated to different gods and visited by various people, who make offerings of food and money.
I am sweating away, so I will continue next time with pictures of the Cotton Hill Girl's School we visited yesterday (6000 students!) and today's visit to the Trivandrum Zoo.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Comments on the zoo? We all love and miss you!
ReplyDeleteif it's a hundred degrees out, how early in the morning do you get up to go running so you don't melt away? and really ms. macpherson, you didn't think you were going to find a starbucks there did you?:) love the updates. keep them coming. oh, one more thing....how much did it cost to use the internet at the cybercafe? is indian coffee any good? thinking of you tons! noelle
ReplyDelete