Wednesday, December 10, 2008

From West to East




You may not recognize the women in these photographs. They are stunning. Breathtaking in their traditional Indian formal wear...the sari! Tonight we are going to a large dinner, so we are dressed to impress in eastern formal attire. Much better than the boring black dress we wear back west! I feel quite impressive in this dress, even if it is nearly impossible to put on alone. We had 3 women helping us get dressed tonight!

Things here in India are busy and full of excitement. We spent 3 hours today on a canoe through the backwaters of Kollam. Backwaters are small waterways in between the many islands and peninsulas here on the tip of India. Yesterday, we visited a Hindu temple dedicated to the goddess Devi, wife of Shiva.

This morning I went running with some Indian soccer players at the stadium. They asked me many questions about soccer in America! Then, a man approached me and said I was famous! As it turns out, our picture was printed in the newspaper and we were shown on television. So I am now officially famous here in southern India.
Enjoy the photos and when I have more time...I will write more! Keep the questions and comments coming!
PS -- What do I miss most about the USA right now?? A venti starbucks coffee with splenda and half-n-half!

8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, you ladies look beautiful. love the pics. and i can't believe you are famous. how was running with the soccer players? keep the updates coming!

    here is a note from ava:

    dfrorrireeoperwre4yutrpyuryituutuuoueruiuuuuuuuruuiuiuuuuu b ghghgghghghhhghgghhgkhkhkhhhjhjjghjjhghgjgjghj

    ReplyDelete
  2. any chances for a souvenir, ms. macpherson???? we would sure appreciate it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you wear that dress on your first day back to gunston???? it would be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ms.macpherson this is teo and i am stopping by on your blog to say hi. And wondering how are you and how is it in india. Well i gotta go but i am keeping up with my work and yea. BYE! and i hope when you come back to gunston in january you have alot of stories to tell to 7th period bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed! You all look gorgeous, the colors are great on your skin tone. I hope you bring a sari for yourself, it could come in handy.
    I am curious about your visit to the schools.What is the overall feel? Do the students look happy? What are they learning in the classrooms you visited? How do they relate to their teachers? Did you meet with the headmaster/principal? Is the education of girls valued? And thanks for your wonderful reports! See you soon, in good health.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That probably was weird standing there with three woman helping you put on a dress. Was it fun to go to the dinner? I always wanted to go canoeing. Well I hope you have fun during the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree....i think your first day back to gunston you should show up in your sari!!! i'm serious ms. macpherson!!

    ReplyDelete