Tuesday, December 2, 2008

To Grandpa With Love

Today's blog entry is dedicated to my grandfather, C.J. MacPherson, who died this morning at the age of 86. He was a good man who lived a full life.

As I sit here typing, it is 11:15 pm and what a day! Here are my highlights:
1) Swimming in the Arabian Sea this morning...It is so warm, but very salty! My eyes still sting.

2) Drinking fresh coconut water from a gigantic coconut, then watching the man chop it open with a machete so I could eat the rest!

3) Eating a traditional Kerala lunch on a banana leaf...with my right hand ONLY! No utensils are used here in South India, except for soups and puddings.

4) Meeting 140 children at a nearby International School and talking with them about the 7 man-made wonders of the world (Can you name them? They did!)

5) Star-gazing from the roof of my host mother's flat (that's an apartment, in British English).

Photos to come tomorrow!
veendum kannum nathu varey (till we meet again in Malayalam),
Ms. MacP

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    I am excited to read about your experiences and sad to hear about your granpa. I'll keep you both in my prayers.
    3)Senegal is also another country where using the right hand ONLY to eat food is extremely important.
    4)Oh boy, I can only think of one (those huge stones "Stonehenge"?, now I am not sure anymore.)I guess I have some homework now.
    Can't wait for the pictures!
    Much Love,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...quite the exotic moment you are in. love the description of all that is going on. so very sorry for your loss. hopefully you can draw strength from knowing that your grandpa resides in heaven above where he is at peace with no pain or discomfort. we'll be looking forward to the next entry. thinking of you!
    noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Cheryl,
    Today is my first visit to your blog...Lots of reading to catch up on. Most importantly I commented here for I was sad to hear about you grandfather. I remember meeting him when you brought him to school. He was quite a trooper. I know you were very close to him for you had a visit at least once a year to him and spoke of him often. Be glad in that now as you travel your grandfather will be able to watch over you and share in your experiences from a spirtual point of view. Hope you enjoy all the rice you are eating and won't tire of the curries. Keep in mind that starbucks will be waiting for you at your first airport....perhaps not the Indian one but at your connecting one...LOL. BE SAFE!!!!

    ReplyDelete